Thursday 18 April 2013

Treacle and Twelfth Night

After a day spent wrestling with a paper on identity (multiple, fluid, negotiated) - I'm at what I call the treacle stage - I found myself at a performance of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night (separated twins one of whom pretends to be a different gender to get the guy she loves, fends off a woman who falls in love with her, etc...)  performed by an all male cast (propellor.org.uk). A play strangely appropriate to my current intellectual task. Lots of cross dressing, gender confusion etc., performed with emotional intelligence and flair.  It must be a GCSE/A set text because the theatre was full of rapt teenagers who gave the performance a standing ovation.  Heart warming.  If Propeller Theatre come to somewhere near you, go and see them, whether or not you like theatre/Shakespeare  You might just get a taste for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment